Happy New Year, we hope 2021 will be a fantastic year for you and your family. Are you looking to take up a new sport in 2021? Well we may have just the answer for you, when it gets warmer!
Sailing at Felixstowe Ferry on the River Deben and the North Sea has been going on since the 1920’s and it continues to thrive.
Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club (FFSC) was established in 1931. They are “The” premier sailing venue on the East coast. The membership for FFSC has grown over the years and continues to increase due to more and more people and families wanting to sail and enjoy getting out on the water.
Youth Sailing at Felixstowe Ferry (YSFF) is a registered charity (no. 1088678) and is based at FFSC. Their aim is to teach 10 to 18 year olds to sail dinghies in an enjoyable and safe environment. There are over 60 junior members of FFSC and over 30 of them sail regularly throughout the year. This is a great and affordable chance for any family in the area to have their children sailing in the best waters on the east coast.
FFSC are offering many facilities that are available to beginners, skilled dinghy and multihull sailors, yacht, powerboat cruisers and rowers or for those that just enjoy a drink and something to eat looking at the best views of the river Deben and the North Sea from the clubhouse.
FFSC offers many facilities that help you to get involved, they include (subject to Government guidelines):
- Dinghy sailing with club racing on a Wednesday night throughout the summer months (starting just after Easter) and many Sunday morning trophy races. Great for all the family.
- Youth Sailing at Felixstowe Ferry for 10-18 year olds. Training and fun days arranged throughout the year.
- “Sailing in Company” where club members can sail with other members for fun. Great family day out. It’s designed for the more leisurely sailor and families. Sailing the beautiful river Deben, sometimes out along the coast and sometimes we have a BBQ or visit a public house along the Deben. We have full safety cover with trained powerboat drivers.
- “Hire a Dinghy” FFSC own a number of sailing dinghies that members can hire out on a case by case basis. Rates are affordable and you can use the dinghies for race or social sailing.
- Yacht sailing A lively and sociable cruising section for yacht owners and motor cruisers. Regular cruises organised both on local waters and further afield for longer adventures.
- RYA Sailing training, FFSC’s training centre is affiliated with the RYA and offers many sailing courses.
- RYA Power boat training which includes RYA levels 1&2 and safety boat courses.
- RYA First Aid courses All training is available to both members and non-members.
- National championships & Open meetings FFSC hosts mono-hull and multi-hull sailing regattas regularly. FFSC invite sailors from all over the UK to participate.
- Lively Social calendar of themed dinner nights and regular events for club members and their friends and family throughout the year.
- Felixstowe Ferry Rowing Group (FFRG) Coastal rowing in a pilot gig (fixed seat rowing, 1 x cox and 6 x rowers)
- “Art at the Ferry” where we have 25 local artists and crafts people that exhibitor their artwork. This year 2nd & 3rd April 2021 10am til 4pm.
- “Club open days” supported by the RYA, FFSC take novices out sailing & power boat rides. Dates to be arranged.
- Club Hire where the clubhouse is a fantastic venue for your wedding or party. An ideal setting with the best view of the River Deben and the North Sea.
- Bar is well stocked with many other soft and alcoholic drinks.
- Galley offers tasty food at reasonable prices.
Want to be part of this great club?
We look forward to welcoming you all, when all this is over.
Stay safe and well.